Aww…I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award from Mummy to Henry. I really appreciate being recognized by one of my fellow bloggers. Plus, it’s extra cool because she’s from across the pond and I love learning more about the UK through her posts. She had a preemie and also posts fun and delicious recipes – she’s right up my alley. 🙂
So, what’s this all about? The rules for the Liebster Award are different depending on who you talk to, but basically It is a nomination from a fellow blogger who appreciates and enjoys your writing. (Here is a great post that includes all the nuances, thanks to Lorraine.)
Nominees are supposed to:
- Step One: Answer the questions given to us and link back to the nominator’s blog
- Step Two: Share 11 random facts about themselves
- Step Three: Nominate other blogs for the award, create 11 questions for them, and tell them they been nominated.
So, now you all get to know me better! Here are the questions Mummy to Henry gave to me…
Step One: Answer 11 Questions from the Nominator
1. What’s your favorite song and why?
It’s too hard to pick one song, so I’m going to have to pick my favorite albums (and that was still too hard). These are albums that I listen to all the way through without skipping any songs, which is rare. In no order:
- Dire Straits – Dire Straits
- Each One Teach One – Groundation
- Midnight Blue – Kenny Burrell
- Reggatta de Blanc – The Police
- Gold – Ryan Adams
- Revelation Part I: The Root of Life – Stephen Marley
- The Mirror Conspiracy – Thievery Corporation
- Toubab Krewe – Toubab Krewe
- Astral Weeks – Van Morrison
2. Where is your favorite vacation destination and why?
Traveling is one of my most favorite things in the world! So, I can’t pick just one place.
I’ve walked the cobblestone streets of Italy, got stranded by myself in France, camped in the chaparral deserts of Baja, Mexico overlooking the ocean, hiked in the Rocky Mountains, won big in Vegas, drank wine in Napa Valley, traveled to see my favorite bands play live, drank Red Stripe beer on the beaches of Jamaica, watched the fog roll in in the Great Smokey Mountains, found a whole sand dollar on the beach in Florida, almost fell of a mountain in Arizona, and watched the river turn green on Saint Patrick’s Day in Chicago and too many other incredible experiences to list!
My parents instilled in me this love of adventure. As a kid, we traveled across the country in our Winnebago, checking out small towns, big cities, mountains, and deserts. My parents taught me that the journey counts just as much, if not more, than the destination.
I can’t wait to introduce Jax to the adventures of traveling!
3. What is your earliest childhood memory?
I remember getting stuck inside the toy box!
4. If you had an invisible cloak for one day where would you go, what would you do and why?
Huh. Good question! I would go check out the restricted parts of the Sistine Chapel. I’d also bring surprise gifts to people who are sick in the hospital to lift their spirits.
5. What would your last meal be? (Ya know like the people on death row have to choose)
It’s no secret I love to eat good food. My last meal would be a little bit of everything: mom’s jerk chicken, kalbi wraps from Sunda in Chicago, my dad’s camping eggs, a Coor’s Light beer, biscuits and gravy, a glass of pinot noir, sausage, McDonalds french fries, and a piece of Ghirardelli Milk and Caramel chocolate.
6. If a Genie could grant you 3 wishes what would they be and why? You can’t wish for more wishes, that’s cheating!
- I would wish for my mom to be alive. Then she could teach me how to raise my son.
- I would wish for my father-in-law to be alive. Then he could teach Jax how to fish and hunt and fix things.
- I would wish for enough money to pay for what we needed with out having to be stressed out about it!
7. Why did you start blogging?
I started writing on CarePages to keep our family and friends updated after Jax was born. After he came home, I wanted an easier and better way to keep everyone updated and so An Early Start was born!
8. Do you believe in soul mates?
Yes. My husband is my soul mate.
9. Do you believe everything happens for a reason?
Yes and no. It bothers me when people say this as a filler when they can’t think of anything else to say during a difficult situation. It was often the very last thing I wanted to hear while Jax was in the NICU – I mean – what possible reason could there have been for my body failing my child and him having to fight so hard to live?
That being said, I think perspective is the most important part of this statement. I mean, if it gives hope to think that something bad happened for a good reason, then I think people should hang on to that hope.
Generally, I’ve found that most of the bad things in my life have indeed had “good” consequences later on down the road.
10. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be and why?
I’m much too anxious a person. I’m also too responsible – I never let myself play until all my chores are done. Herein lies the biggest problem with me being a stay-at-home-mom: my chores are never done. It add an extra element of anxiety that I’m trying hard to manage. I wish I could let go of responsibility sometimes!
11. If you were stuck on a Desert Island and could only take one thing what would it be and why?
Well, how long am I going to be stuck on this island? If I’d be there for a short time, then I’d bring a Swiss Army Knife so I could cut, file, protect, catch, and fix things. If I was going to be stuck long-term, I’d bring seeds so I could plant a garden. (Of course, I’d want my family there with me, too, but I wouldn’t want to put them in danger. So I’ll just tough it out on my own on this island! 🙂 )
Step Two: List 11 Random Facts
- I’ve lived back in Minnesota for the same amount of time that I lived in California (7 years).
- My house is 95 years old and was built by my uncle’s grandparents.
- Our house is haunted. (We’ve seen at least 4 different spirits and have had a medium come to help us get rid of them.) Now you all can call me crazy, if you want!
- I love hosting parties – nothing makes me happier than having all my friends and family hanging out having fun together!
- I talk to my plants because I think it helps them grow better.
- I love walking and when the weather is nice I walk in the woods at least a few miles a day.
- Jax teaches me something new every single day.
- I hate snow and cold weather but I live in a state where winter lasts 5 months out of the year.
- Seeing live music is one of my favorite things to do and I can’t wait to take Jax to more music festivals this summer.
- Popcorn is my favorite snack.
- I love reading fantasy and science-fiction type books because they help me escape for a little while.
Step Three: Nominate Other Bloggers
- Early Light: The Tale of a Micropreemie Extraordinare
- JAM Sessions: Lessons Learned Through a Micro-Preemie
- Rockstar Preemies: Life with Twins Born at 25 Weeks Gestation
- The Things She Cooked: A Legacy of Food
- Premmeditations: Reflections on Preemie Parenting
- Handpicked Miracle: Finding our New Normal Parenting our Micropreemie
If you’d like to accept this nomination, here are your questions.
- Tell me about your favorite concert. If you’ve never been to a concert, what is your favorite song?
- If money were no object, where would you go on vacation?
- What is your favorite comfort food?
- What is your favorite thing about blogging? Least favorite?
- Tell me about your favorite hobby.
- What is your favorite dish to cook?
- What is your favorite smell?
- What four words would you use to describe yourself?
- What is something you’ve always wanted to try but haven’t yet?
- What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
- If you went back in time, is there one particular thing you would do differently?
I look forward to seeing who accepts this nomination and reading the posts!
5 thoughts on “Awww Shucks: Liebster Award”
Hi! I am leaving this comment because I would like for you to update your Liebster Award post with the correct link. I am going to be deleting my old site (Lorraine Reguly’s Life) and so would really appreciate it if you could update your post with a link to Wording Well. This is my new site, and because I have moved my “old” post to my “new” site, you will be left with a broken link if you don’t change it. I don’t want this to happen! Besides, http://wordingwell.com/the-liebster-award-the-official-rules-my-first-blog-award-and-a-few-personal-secrets-revealed/ is still the same post it always was, but the domain name has changed. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to me. The internet is forever – or at least until we change things, so, please, can you change this for me? (Thanks!)
Thanks for the heads up, Lorraine! Done.
Thank you so much! 🙂
I’m really missing out, I have never been to see any live music. No concert, no festival. Oh dear.
Also Dire Straits were my Mums favourite too. And I think it I were granted some wishes I would certainly choose the same as you and bring my dear mum back.
I’m going to go and check out the blogs you’ve nominated now x