Comfy at Home

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers yesterday, gang!

Jax did great! We got to the hospital at 11:00 – it was a scary check-in time because that’s lunchtime for our little starving dude. He did a fantastic job of being still and cooperative for the nurse, even though we know he was hungry and crabby. It didn’t hurt that she brought him a tub full of tractors to play with while he was waiting.

They were, of course, running a little bit late, so he didn’t end up going back for the MRI until 1:00. Surgery for the hypospadia repair started at 2:00. We were back in recovery with him by 5:00. The surgeon said that everything looked great – he is really pleased with how everything went and he’s pretty confident that this will be the last repair needed.

It was a long day at the hospital, but we got to come home last night, so that was a relief.

Jax was in a lot of pain which was heartbreaking to see and hear. We had to break out the “big guns” of pain medicine and give him oxycodone. We were trying not to give this medicine, but it finally got to the point where we knew he needed it. 😦 Poor kiddo is so tough and brave! Thankfully, the medicine helped him get a good night’s sleep.

He was up at 6am this morning ready to play trains. Good for him, bad for me! Ha – I’m tired!

He will have the catheter in for 14 days. It is imperative that this catheter stay in place, so I’m worried about how I will keep him generally calm for two whole weeks. The hardest part will be when he wants to go play at the playground (something he’s used to doing everyday) but can’t. If we can make it through this first week, the second week might get some more leeway. Screen time limits are out the window this week!

He’s complaining about some pain this morning, but it’s not nearly as bad as it was last night, so that’s good. I’m hoping we can keep the pain under control with an alternating schedule of Tylenol and ibuprofen. Keep your fingers crossed, ok?

We don’t get the results from the MRI until tomorrow afternoon. There’s a lot of “what-ifs” happening in my head today, but I’m trying not to think about it too much. I figure if it was bad news, someone would have called us, right? So, I’m just banking on news of a stable tumor – sound good to you?

Author: Andrea M

Oh man, what an adventure! I went into labor unexpectedly when I was 23w3d pregnant. Jaxson was born weighing 1 lb 8 oz. A tiny little peanut, but boy was he feisty. He still is! We love it now, but we probably won't when he is a teenager. I write about our journey and all other things that come with it, including a brain tumor. We look forward to "meeting" you - come hang out with us...we're pretty cool.

6 thoughts on “Comfy at Home”

  1. Good luck keeping him somewhat calm! Every kind of screen is great, as well as coloring, doing stickers, helping you with food preparation, snuggling with you, etc. Also high chairs and strollers are great ways to keep him strapped in and not moving around a lot while he heals. Good luck!!


  2. At our house, we pray for Jax and all of you, every single day. You are all troopers. Take care and know you are loved much more than you can see.


Thanks for hanging out with us! Leave us a comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: